Tuesday 14 April 2009

3, 5, 7 ... Take me to Hoop Heaven!

bhs_colourparade09.jpg

The 3 beat never fully grabbed me until I recently saw Sharna-Rose rock out Safire's 5 beat extravaganza... now it's become an obsession. Reality hit via the mutha of all mathematical epiphanies ... 5 comes after 3... there aint no way around it! Or is there? Actually now that I am applying myself to the 3 beat with the focus and intensity it deserves I'm almost enjoying it! Aaaaaaaaagh! It's SO frustrating. BUT Guru Sharna is in my mind the whole while: "let go of the ego and enjoy" yeahyeah sharnaji! that lady IS a machine there is no doubt about it. I'm putting the word out to all those in the know - I NEED HELP!!! and I NEEEED the 5 beat like yo momma needs her baby. Check it out for yourself - pure genius.



So it led me down a twins training session that included Chopper Hovers both horizontally above the head and vertically in front of the body (with added Twirly Whirly Behind) + Behind the Back Spins, Thread the Needle, Double Isolations and On the Body Split Reversals. I started downsizing hoops then upsizing again until I reached what felt like the perfect size for such twin play - 85cm (33"). Ideally I want my hoops to be small enough to rock out in the hands without feeling like my wrists are going to snap off and big enough to throw back onto the body with full mobility including split reversal range.

In Chopper Hover I am noticing it is better to keep a lighter grip on the hoops on the way down and up. Also important to keep the body centred evenly inside the hoop, grab from far left with right hand behind the back and keep the arm close to the body (elbow pointed up) as it snakes back up, Elevator style, keeping a smooth momentum and flow. You can wing this one if it's not behaving by staying with the spin - what seems most important is the flow of the lift.

Another amazing and inspiring video of the day came from Beth Lavinder - truly breathtaking in grace, flow and sharpness in those reversals.


breaks and reverses with twins on the core from Beth Lavinder on Vimeo.

The training path is calling me big time. I need it on a daily level. I dream it when I'm asleep. I can feel the portals opening as I jump into my very own unknown to discover what others experience and beyond. I want to experience life as a waking dream - surreal blissful bizarre and unique to my mind's eye. And I want to get that 3 beat in preparation for the five beat before the end of April OR ELSE!

2 comments:

Glitter Girl said...

Keep at it Bunny. I am also on the quest of 5 beat success. It will be mine...... and yours xxx

bunnyhoopstar said...

Much progress GemStar! I wouldnt let the hoopstars outta class until they FIXED it for me :) some great tips xxx